Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2014

Project Healthy Schools


Today, I went to Rubira to work in the clinic there for KIHEFO’s monthly outreach. I got to shadow some of the medical professionals and see patients. In the afternoon, I got to go back to the primary school in Rubira to teach their sixth graders about the different food groups. During the year, I volunteer for the University of Michigan Health System as a Health Ambassador for Project Healthy Schools (you can see their website here: http://www.projecthealthyschools.org/).

For 10 weeks, I get to teach sixth grade students about healthy habits and how to eat well. Lesson three is the “MyPlate” lesson, where we talk about the important food groups and how to make a healthy plate. The other public health student, two of the medical students and I planned the lesson and gave it just like the project healthy schools lesson I give the sixth graders in Ann Arbor. It was amazing to see how the same simple lesson could be used for two vastly different groups of children halfway around the world from each other. Below are some pictures.

Me at the clinic in Rubira
MyPlate Lesson
The P6 and P7 (6th graders) at Rubira Primary School

No comments:

Post a Comment