Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Makanga Hill


I realized that while I have been here for a week already, I haven’t uploaded any pictures of the KIHEFO compound or clinic. The apartments we are staying in are located on Makanga Hill, one of the nicest places to live in Kabale. Other people living on the hill include professors, diplomats, expats, and similar types. It is beautiful for early morning runs, which my friend Adrien and I have done once, although the altitude makes running uphill more difficult here. At the top of the hill are the central offices for Kabale district (the court, administrative offices, etc) and some hotels, along with a golf course. The most well known hotel, the White Horse Inn, has been around since the early 1900s, when Uganda was a British colony. It claims to have free wi-fi, although the only time we tried to test that out it wasn’t working. It does have beautiful gardens and a nice view of the rest of Kabale town, however. Below are some pictures of the KIHEFO compound and me with some of the other KIHEFO interns at the White Horse Inn.

Our living room

My bedroom
The outdoor pavilion where we eat

a typical meal at the compound: chapatti, rice, beans,
avocado, mango, and pineapple

Amanda, Casie, Lauren, and me at the White Horse Inn

No comments:

Post a Comment